Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Everyone's Wish

I want to share a conversation between Tommy and I at bedtime tonight.
Tommy "My pinkie hurts from testing my blood"
Me "Sorry to hear that we will let that finger rest for a while"
Tommy "I wish I didn't have to test my blood"
Me "Me too buddy"
Tommy"I wish I wasn't born with this. I wish I didn't have diabetes"
Me "Everyone wishes that and there are some really smart people working on a cure"
Tommy "Smarter then you?"
Me "Yes smarter then mommy"
He smiled and rolled over in his bed.
I share this because we have a conversation like this for at least 2 to 3 nights after his quarterly doctor's appointments so I expect it now. After some appointments he cries and just says he doesn't know why. It is truly the worst feeling for a parent to not have the ability to take his hurt away. Days like this make me wish I knew every scientists phone number and could call them and tell them all to stop what they are doing to find a cure. I know they are closer now then when he was diagnosed, which is good news but its not here yet. People are quick to say how lucky it is that there is insulin and how "manageable" the disease is. I have to point out that insulin is NOT a cure its just keeping him alive till there is one. And as far a management...it's not like taking care of your teeth - you brush maybe 2 or three times a day and floss, go to the dentist and hope for the best. It's a 24 hour a day management - you are thinking and acting for a vital organ that no longer works. As I type this I'm waiting for his blood sugar to come up from 75 just to check again at 3 to make sure it doesn't drop again.
Tomorrow will be 2 years since Tommy was diagnosed. The day meets me with mixed emotions this year because of his doctor's appointment for non diabetes things saved for another blog when I can wrap my head around it. But as far as his A1c it was good and his numbers looked good too so no changes. I have continued my tradition that I started last year - I have signed up for the JDRF walk on Oct 13th. Our team will be back trying to do what we can to help find a cure. I hope our team grows even larger this year. I can't tell you the pride tommy felt this year (as did Tom and I) seeing everyone in their team shirt. We are so lucky to have such loving friends and family and so many businesses to donate.
There is not a day that goes by that I don't wish for a cure...I think that's everyone's wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment