Friday, July 15, 2016

He Lived


Since Tommy's 5 year diagnosis anniversary in April I've been thinking there must be some profound statement that goes along with that. There must be something to say for living with a disease for that long and I just couldn't find the words. Well, today I was painting a preschool classroom and was listening to some music. The song "I Lived" by One Republic was on and as I sang along I realized that is the profound thought! I LIVED! 
The song talks about owning every second and Tommy has! It talks about "doing it all" and he has.Diabetes hasn't   stopped him from doing anything that he's wanted to accomplish. 
In the past 5 years Tommy has become a big brother, graduated preschool, made it through kindergarten through 3rd grades, played soccer, played baseball, played basketball, excelled at writing his own works, became an avid reader, learned to ride a horse, continued his love for movies, learned to write comics, gone to Hershey Park too many times to count, gone to Disney, spent summer days at the lake or at the beach, has built snowman and gone sledding, learned his own sense of style, learned to tie his shoes, developed his own sense of humor, he's made friends, he's smiled, he's laughed, he's cried, he's lived!
Just recently Tommy asked me about the day he was diagnosed and wondered if I cried when I found out. I said I didn't cry when I first found out because I didn't want him to be scared. He told me that at the hospital he felt like I could take care of him and didn't feel any different and I realize we lived too. Our world changed on April 25,2011 but it didn't stop. Our life has been so full in the last 5 years and I'm grateful that we decided to thrive through each difficult time that we've needed to walk though. We've lived! 

No comments:

Post a Comment